Friday, November 14, 2014

A Day in my Life

I almost titled this "A Day in My Pants" and then I realized how incredibility inappropriate that was. And I hit the backspace.

SO here we are. 

Let's start over. 

There are a lot of posts out there about how busy stay at home moms are during the day, how they don't get anything done because the baby/child/dog/dependent of choice is so demanding.  I thought it'd be nice to share my day. Because it's a tad different. a Tad. And this is LONG. Because let's be honest, so is my day. 

The Night before  (after bedtime) - Next Day Prep
After we drag ourselves off the couch for our entire 30-45 minutes of rest/relaxation/Facebook status checking,  one of us has to program the coffee pot for tomorrow morning while the other throws in a load of laundry. I may shower (if I'm feeling really energetic).  Then get my clothes & things out for my early morning workout. Try to remember where the dog is... Wait.. Is she inside?  Look in all the usual hiding spots. NO dog. Outside? Crap. How long has she been out there? Bring in the dog, who's been staring through the window hoping we remember her for who knows how long. Pet her and give her a bone because I feel guilty. Bad dog parent. 

To bed, normally by 9. Sometimes 9:30. Hell, sometimes 8 if we're being honest here. Set the alarm for tomorrow's workout - 5am. Damn. How many hours away is that?

10:30 - Crying child needs cough medicine. Up, find said medicine, wrestle her like a wet seal trying to escape to get the medicine in her mouth. 30 minutes of rocking back to sleep. 

11pm - Now how many hours do I have until my alarm? Crap. Quick back to sleep.

11:01pm - Is the dog inside? 

4:45am - Child is almost awake and coughing again. Cover her up with the blanket, close the door so I can get ready for the gym and not wake her for the day. 

Let's be honest here too. Many times the following does not happen because I'm just too tired to get my ass out of bed and drive across town. Especially when it's 25 degrees out.

5am - where are my clothes? I swear I put underwear out. Crap. Flashlight app on on the phone. Dig through the closet hoping not to wake the husband. Finally find some socks. Wait did I need socks? Or something else? Get dressed. Have to leave by 5:30. what time is it? 5:26. Awesome.

5:26am - Grab my water, protein shake & bar - out the door. Pretty sure I forgot something. Run through the checklist - Fully clothed, water, keys, contacts, deodorant, teeth brushed, breakfast... What else.... 

5:47am - Show up 2 minutes late to the gym.

6:42am - 18 minutes before class ends, I have to leave so I can get back in time to shower and get ready for the day. Check my watch, how many calories today? Grab my stuff. Shout thanks and hit the road.

Ride home - curse all the red lights and stupid people who clearly don't have any rush to be anywhere at 6:50am. Thankful for the morning sun. 

7am - In the shower. Go fast. No time to shave. The child is trying to get into the bathroom.


715am - Drying hair while the little one plays in the bathtub with a hairbrush and a bottle of lotion.  #ParentingWin. Those count as educational toys right?

7:30am - attempt to have a cup of coffee while the little one eats a banana which ends up all over the dog and the floor, and in her hair. Change her clothes. She's still hungry. Search for another breakfast option. Give up on coffee and pack a travel cup. 

7:45am - attempt to get dressed, and dress the little one, again. Pack my lunch (or lack of), grab a frozen breakfast sandwich, travel mug of coffee, snacks for daycare. Almost ready.

8:04am - how are we still here? I thought we were leaving 20 minutes ago. I'm dressed. Except for the pants I ripped when I bent down to put M's coat on. Change clothes. Wrangle Wet Seal into her coat. 

8:07 - Finally on the road to daycare. Run through the checklist again - what did I forget?

8:15 - Arrive at daycare. M has removed her pig tails, shoes, and both socks. I can't find the other shoe. How is that possible?!

8:18 - Finally get INSIDE daycare with fully dressed toddler, who insists on waving at the cars as they drive by before she goes inside. 

8:23 - Back in the car, finally. I can drink my coffee. Dammit it's cold. Drink it anyway. I'll buy some hot stuff at work. 

Drive to work. Behind the slowest grandmothers on the planet. and 10 landscape trucks. Seriously we must have an over abundance of landscape requirements. This cant be normal. Wonder where they are all going. 

8:47 - Finally get to my desk. Require Coffee...

9:00 - computer is finally on. The day can begin.

9am - 5pm : Work stuff. Lots of work stuff. Sometimes grocery shopping or diaper buying on my lunch break. 

5pm - drive home. Cue more slow drivers and landscape trucks. (Seriously where are they going?!) Sit on the off ramp at Westland for exactly 934 minutes. 

5:15pm - Enter my house to the little one's excited squeals. YAY MOMS HOME! SHE CAN  HOLD ME UNTIL ITS TIME TO GO TO BED! Attempt to change clothes while holding or dodging said toddler who is clawing at my legs. 

5:30pm - Dear Husband (so that's what DH stands for...) cooks dinner while I play with dolls, color, puzzles, etc. He pours me a glass of wine and hides it somewhere the little person can't reach it. 

6-630pm - DINNER! Husband made whatever it is we decided on, I pick & shop, he cooks. Always thinking about what the little one will eat. Naturally she was starving before dinner was ready so she had a hotdog. #parent fail

645pm - Bath time. One parent cleans the baby while the other cleans the kitchen from dinner. It's a race, whoever is cleaning dishes tries to be done before the baby is out of the tub. There's no prize. Just adding some excitement to the chores. 

7-8 pm: The best time of the night. With a clean happy baby, we finally get some playtime and laughs as a family. 

8pm - Bedtime. Rocking, singing, reading stories. Lots of snuggles and hugs. This is the best time of day. Did I say that already? 

8:15 - Sit down on the couch. Finally. Where did I put the wine? Did I finish it? Surely not. Oh its on the back of the toilet from bath time. Whatever. I'm ready for bed.

Tomorrow, we'll do it all again. And as we say every night. 

We wouldn't trade it for the world.

and on Fridays, we have pizza. :)

There's zero point to this post. So if you made it all the way through, congratulations, you just became the mouse in my pocket for a day. If you were entertained, that was an added bonus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment