Just what you wanted, right? Me too.
So, Kitchen Part 1 happened in late 2007- early 2008. And it stayed like that. Until 2009. Cause we our ambition level wasn't so sky high then. And we were younger. And bars sold beer. And friends wanted to go drink beer. You get the drift.
The cabinets are out, the wall is down, and the ceiling is patched.
Oh - we had also ripped out one end cabinet to make room for the new door when the windows and doors were updated.
Begin Project -
First, we took down the upper cabinets and put them out in the garage (aka paint land - my new home). Then N & my bro ripped out the soffit above the cabinets. We had to rip the soffit down because the microwave was too low and we needed to move everything up a few inches.
| N & K ripping stuff down |
Our cabinets fortunately are solid wood so I was able to sand them down pretty well and then start from scratch. I won't lie, this is a LONG ASS PROCESS. I'm pretty positive I will never paint cabinets again. Unless I have a spray gun.
Cabinet Painting Supplies:
- Sandpaper (coarse & medium grit)
- Primer
- Kitchen & Bath Paint (We used Valspar from Lowe's)
- A good paint brush (SPEND THE MONEY ON A GOOD BRUSH)
- Rags
- Small roller (4-6")
Sand
I took the doors and hardware off and gave everything a really good sand with the coarse sandpaper. This gets all the grit and nastiness off the cabinets from years of being in a kitchen. Then I went over them with a medium/finer grit to get them smooth. Wipe them down with a damp cloth and make sure all the dust is off. Now you're ready to paint.
Prime
I did a coat of high-hiding primer, since I was painting the cabinets white over a dark wood.
Sand
Use fine grit to get a really smooth finish and get rid of any imperfections from the primer.
Paint
This takes the longest (well, after the sanding). I think I did 2-3 coats with the cabinets down off the wall and then another touch up coat after they were back up on the wall. I used the brush to do the grooves in the cabinet doors and for the bases. Then I rolled what I could.
Reassemble
We finished the drywall behind the cabinets, painted it Valspars "Sarsaparilla" and hung the cabinets back up. We also did all new hardware and N put crown moulding on the top of the cabinets.
All in all - huge difference, for minimum money and lots of time.
Picture Time
The "island" - where the full wall/ midget pass-thru used to be.
Looking into the dining room.
Excuse the missing drawer. I broke it and it was in repair land.
Staggered cabinets to make room for the microwave
The doors took a few extra coats -
Close Up
AND Just in case you forgot what we started with -
I wanted to remind you of those beauts before showing you


No comments:
Post a Comment