So many people have the dream of natural childbirth They dream of labor (are they insane?) and the joy of giving birth to their children naturally. I've never really had this "dream" (cause from what I can decipher, labor isn't exactly the same as drinking a fruity drink while working on my tan at the beach) but I can appreciate that people want to keep it natural. I've never agreed with people who pick out their kids birthdays to coincide with their schedules. If you're that uptight, parenthood is going to be pretty hard for you..
I was more convinced I'd be like my mom. I had this idea in the back of my head that I'd pop out kids like she did. She was a kid popping champion. I heard the stories about how easy both mine and my brothers' births were and I assumed that when I decided to become a mom, I'd have the same thing. I'd walk into the hospital, and be all "Oh hey, I think it's time... How does now sound? Good okay, GO! Oh look, that was fast! I'm done. Someone pass the sushi."
Turns out I'm not gonna do that. Turns out this kid is a stubborn little monkey who doesn't play by the normal rules and wants to challenge me. Turns out we've got a pile of stuff working against us - including having the cord around her neck and being what is known as "frank breech" (where her butt is down and her feet and head are up so she's sitting in a V position). So we get to pick her birthday, and she'll be born pretty quickly, no 12 hr labor for me.
Fortunately, I'm okay with this change in plan. I purposefully never created a "birth plan" other than to get her out safely. So, 3 weeks from now, we'll pack our bags and head to the hospital in the morning, and come home with a little Marin. She'll be excellent, and I'll be sore, but it will all be worth it.
And for the rest of her life I will remind her how she decided not to follow the rules.
And to finish it out- here's a pic of me (and Marin) at the 36 week mark. Lotsa belly!

No comments:
Post a Comment