Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The House - An Overview/ Beginning

We moved into our house in November of 2007. It was owned by my in-laws, as my father-in-laws old office and we needed a place to stay while my husband went back to school. I'd been to the house before, but of course never really paid attention to details - what did I care, it wasn't my house?! Pulling up with the truck however, I really had to take a look at what was ahead of me. I think my dad even recommended "blowing it up and starting over" because it'd be easier than fixing everything.

Here's the before - This is the best and first shot I have, so excuse me and mom working in the yard.

March 2008
Things to note:
1. Blue walls. Yellow foundation. (who loves primary colors?!)
2. Storm windows that don't open.( I take that back. The tall ones on the porch slide over to one side, and the screens were gone, which my dog absolutely loved. Instant doggy door! )

The house has some great parts - it sits on an acre of land in an area of town where an acre of land is way more than I could ever afford. The neighbors are mostly quiet farmers and some cows, so we never have any problems there. There's a detached garage that holds all the husbands crap and a bar/big screen tv for the boys to have their own space. It's super close to everything, including work and shopping, but feels like it's pretty isolated.

It also had some not so great parts - the overall "outdatededness", poor quality remodel jobs by previous owners/renters/garden gnomes, an overgrown back yard (the back 40 as I call it), and lots of stuff that just didn't make sense (like the door from the master bathroom into the kitchen. Yup. That's real)

Lots of projects to come, including an entire new exterior look, landscaping, a deck, kitchen cabinet redo, a gutted bathroom, and knock-down textured ceilings!

Till then...







No comments:

Post a Comment